Saturday, March 10, 2012

What percentage do you think is appropriate to tip a server?

Assuming the server did a good job, what does everyone think is an appropriate tip? 10%? 15%? 20%? 25%? As a server, I am just curious as to finding out what some people are thinking when they go out to eat, get great service, and then leave a crappy tip. Please explain why this happens.|||I'm a server too, Kelly. I can't explain why this happens. But when I go out to eat, I never even consider the total amount of the check. I consider the service given and tip accordingly, as my wallet will allow. I have been known to leave a $5 tip for coffee. And to leave a penny for a $50 dinner. Totally depends on service given.





Many people do not realize how much tips mean to servers. Most are paid backward minimum wage - $2.13 an hour, and you have to claim tips to make it up to the minimum wage. If you don't make those tips, tough. You still have to claim them. If I am in a restaurant, and don't have the cash on me to leave the tip I want to, I will stop the server and explain. And will go back at a later date and make it up to him or her.





Many people consider leaving $1 on the table as fine. It probably was in 1950 or so. Others simply don't think.





The only way I know to solve this problem is to make it mandantory for everyone to work one week as a server, and see what kind of crap we have to put up with, usually from those who either don't tip at all, or very little. It has been my experience that most people tip something. But there are those that don't. And won't. Don't believe in it. For whatever reason.





I have always gone into work with the attitude that all my tips are earned, not deserved. And wait on people accordingly.





If anyone else comes up with the reasons behind this, I'll be checking to see. I'm curious what excuses people will come up with.|||Between 15 to 20 percent! People sometimes leave crappy tips cause they don't have much money. If I go out to eat it is cause I scrounged up some money to go. Therefore I barley have enough to leave a good tip. I don't know where you work but I am from kc and I apologize if I have ever been to your restaurant and left a crappy type.|||My friends all do 15%, but i used to be a server and i always give at least 20%. Depending on what I order, sometimes i tip more. When i go to the bar, if my table is taken good care up, i sometimes tip around 50%, but like i said, the minimum i give is 20.|||I always tip 20%|||15% of the bill but deductions should be taken out depending on how the sever talks to you acts toward you responds to your needs|||i usually try to leave at lease 10% to 20% that if the service is good/





But then it also deplaned if my money is kind of funny! Then I don't leave any tip! Even if the service was good!





Then I'm the type of person if the service was good and i can't afford to leave an tip i usually clean after myself !





Yell i have even been know to bus 3 or 4 table and clean the floor.





It just me i don't like making people jobs hard!|||If the server was really good Normally I would tip no less than 20%..I like to leave tips it the service warrants it..if not then it is very hard to pay for service i didnt receive..|||I leave 15% for normal%26amp;good service, 20% for exceptional%26amp;above and beyond service, and less than 15% if really bad service or if problem not resolved satisfortorily.|||I think that 15% would be a good tip for a job well done. If the server was really really good then 20%|||10%|||15-20 for average service, more for better service, maybe 10 for crappy service.





Also, I've found that many people not familiar with tipping think that $1 per person is perfectly acceptable. It's aggravating after you've waited on them hand and foot and they raved about the food. Usually those people are either arrogant or old.|||20% minimum and the tip should either be increased/decreased according to the quality of the service, because I just did a week of training and I can say personally that every bit of the money is needed and everyone should at least leave a 20% tip or less, but nothing less than 5%, cause serving puts miles on people feet, attitudes, alot of things...|||It depends on the service, I sometimes just give 10%.|||I give 15% unless their was a reason I needed to give less.


Some people are just cheap %26amp; won't leave a tip @ all. Or they thought what they gave was enough.|||i always aim for the 15%


sure if the service was outstanding maybe20%


its hard to go to a nice place anymore and not spend a small fortune--alot of times I think the server gets cut out of the equation!





I was a poor tipper b4 but NOT NOW!! had a friend who was a server and you people WORK VERY HARD!





so thanks for all you do--I am a recovering bad tipper and have been better for the last 4 years!!|||I always leave 20% tip for the food %26amp; one drink per person.





If most of the bill is just drinks (let's say we stay %26amp; the extra draft beers are $3.50 - 5:00, then I don't include those in the bill). Four beers could easily be $14.00 - $20.00 (Two extra per person).|||I think 10%. Sometimes people don't leave at tip b/c the bill is more than they expected, or their date wants to go somewhere else after dinner that wasn't expected.|||It depends on the quality of service provided by the server, make a ranking from 0-4


0 - BAD - 5%


1 - REGULAR - 10%


2 - GOOD - 15%


3 - VERY GOOD - 20%


4 - EXCELLENT - 25% or more|||20% is great! I was a server as well, and I hate it when you give great service and end up with less than 10% as a tip. We have to tip-out at the end, so if we get $1 on a $35 check, we end up with no tip at all! I get so mad when this happens, because I give the same service to everyone, and end up with some great tips, and some lousy ones from ppl who u can judge won't give a good tip... I thought I was prejudice at first, but now, I think it's just a reality. Certain ppl don't tip!!!!|||well, most servers are millionaires and i guess most people don't think that they need more money. actually it works really well to tell them a sob story about how you have 187 kids and 467,342 cats and you have to support them all by yourself. yeah, that'll do ,pig.|||the minimum is 20% if they are attentive but not great, if they are crappy and surly....nothing, if they are wonderful, attentive but not intrusive and really great service you can tip whatever you want...they will appreciate it. too, a tip also depends on the restaurant...in many of the upscale ones a 15% gratuity is required no matter the service you get. i'm usually a generous tipper but i can tell you i've gotten some really crappy service and let them know either by a word to the manager or no tip. just make sure you complain AFTER you get your dinner or you might find 'something' extra in your food.|||The standard as known is 15%. If I get good service though I generally tip 20%or more. If I get lousy service I tip below the standard. I know there are people out there who don't believe in tipping. They should spend the day as a server.|||15-20% is good less than that is kinda cheap. u have to remember that most waiters waitresses money comes from the tips the receive|||I generally start at 20% and then work my way down if there's crappy service. But I'm a former server myself, so I'm kinda biased.|||Its a cultural thing.





If you go for a meal and pay a lot for it you expect the food to be great and the service professional and attentive. Thats why you pay $100 for a plate of ingredients which have a value of $5.





You are already paying $95 dollars a head to have had a really nice experience.





Some restaurants then put on a service charge so you are again paying a second time for someone to carry your food from the hatch to the table.





A nice experience should be the minimum level of service expected.





If a server or waitress or bar tender is extra great and leaves you saying wow, or if there is no service charge then you should leave a discretionary tip, and in europe this tends to be 10%





In the U.S however it is expected and like everyone else I routinely tip 18-20% just because its expected. Whilst I have receieved some great service and tipped 20% I have also recieved lousy service and still tipped 20% because I have seen the abuse people who do not tip enough get.|||I usually tip between 15-20%. And if a server is rude, just think of it as them having a bad day. They're not intentionally trying to be rude to you, and they don't get very good wages alone. They live by their tips. Regardless of mistakes from the kitchen (not the waiter's fault) or a small bit of attitude from the waiter, I never tip less than 15%.





As for other people leaving very small tips... they're rude. They'll dock you on whatever they see as "not fitting of a waiter/waitress". Or they're cheap and didn't bring enough money.|||its up to you to tip? but 15% 20% is more than enough|||Depends on the service. If just ok 10% will do. But If I have a great meal experience, I've left 25%. Most times it is around 15%|||double the tax in calif, rounded down. smaller tips is because people are fed up with the high price of things. in addition, it's the proprietor's responsibility to pay the wages and figure out how to stay in business, ie dealing with competition.|||I use as a baseline 20% I have gone as high as 100% it depends on service. I cannot understand why someone who has great service would not leave or leave a crappy tip|||15% if you just do your job. I don't need smiles and small talk. 20% if they are just a ball of fire. I work for tips and I believe in tipping so there are times I will leave 50, 60, or 100%. I never leave anything smaller than a $5 unless it's for a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment