Sunday, March 4, 2012

How can I transfer my server to a server cluster?

I have a web server that I would like to transfer to a server cluster. What is the best way to do this? Can I clone the hard drive of my web server and put the identical copy on the cluster?How can I transfer my server to a server cluster?
It could possibly be done like this if it is the operating system is Windows NT Server. IIS must be setup to work off the external raid array drive (usually drive D). Using Norton Ghost, make an image of your web server. Setup the new server with the external hardware raid array (1, 5, or raid 10), then reload your image to the server and array. It should automatically recongize the additional drive size if you gave it any additional drives (it must be exactly equal or greater than the original server). Then repeat the process for the second computer system and array as your backup cluster. Make sure that when the second one boots up, the drive mappings are exactly the same! Then install your heartbeat network card on both systems and then setup your clustering. If you did this correctly, it should work just fine.



However, you might have better performance using an F5 Load Balancer in front of your web server and just run both servers at the same time talk about huge performance increase and then you don't need to worry about clustering.

No comments:

Post a Comment