Wednesday, March 7, 2012

If someone runs a public server on a residential internet connection, how long can they do it for?

Okay, so I know that the internet company's say not to do it, I don't care about that. What I am wondering is how long can someone run a public server until someone notices or cares?If someone runs a public server on a residential internet connection, how long can they do it for?
You might check with your ISP.

Does it say public? or does it say business? Usually its a server that offers the same services as the ISP for less money that gets bit. Its not usually written as Residential vs Public. Its usually written as a Residential connection vs a Business connection.



Ive run a personal server for 7 years now on my DSL with two different ISPs and no problem at all. Ive often called my tech support and made it clear that I was running a server. Ive offered the ISPs services for "friends, family, and things I like to support". Ive taken donations to keep it running. Ive had no problems.



But I bet if I marketed myself as a cut-rate domain host running off their system they would bite me.



Here is abit of a writeup on what Im doing...

http://www.any1can.net/ServerInfo.htmIf someone runs a public server on a residential internet connection, how long can they do it for?
I doubt they'll notice because, frankly, you probably won't get enough traffic to matter if you don't have the resources for a server.



You need to consider the fact that every few hours or days your ISP probably refreshes your IP address, meaning your server address will keep changing. This will present a problem.



You can get a static IP from your ISP but you have to pay extra and set it up as a business connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment