Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What is a restaurant server's etiquette for praying patrons?

When I eat at restaurants with my family, my grandparents pray for the family before the meal. What is a server's etiquette when encountering these people? I've had people stand off to the side and wait, continue to serve the food while we pray, and one time the server JOINED us in prayer. What should they really be doing?What is a restaurant server's etiquette for praying patrons?
I think the server should wait as long as the prayer is only a moment or two.



I think it's fine for them to join in the prayer also (bowing one's head, saying amen, etc.) if they feel inclined.



If the prayer is more than a minute or so I would get fed up and serve the food anyways.



While I value diversity and tolerance, I think it's rude to engage in long prayer/religious ceremony in a restaurant without making prior arrangements.



There is an obvious difference between a public restaurant and a house of worship. Let's not confuse the two.
I don't know if there is an official etiquette, but it seems to me that it would be appropriate for a server to give the family a moment to pray. You don't say whether or not you are offended by the server who joined you...I think if you are regulars in his restaurant this is not impolite.What is a restaurant server's etiquette for praying patrons?
I've always been the type to stand off to the side and wait, but that's what I'm most comfortable with. I don't see anything wrong with the server joining in on a prayer from a SOCIAL standpoint (especially if he/she is waiting on their own family or friends). But from a PROFESSIONAL standpoint, I believe all servers should stand aside and wait until the prayer is over, and not invite themselves - possibly making the patrons uncomfortable.
I think if you are going to pray in a restaurant, you should wait until after the server has served all the food and went back to his or her business. Otherwise, the server either has to stand their awkwardly (wondering if he or she is bothering you by doing so) and wait (while she also has other things to do), or she has to serve the food over people who are praying (and personally if I were the server I would feel rude doing so) or go do something else and come back, possibly making your food come to you late. If you let her get out of the way first, it's better for everyone.





If a server does encounter people praying while he or she is trying to serve, I think he or she should go ahead and serve...if it bothered the people for him or her to do so, they would have waited until she left.What is a restaurant server's etiquette for praying patrons?
They should do the first option you gave, to stand off to the side and wait. I've been with a group of friends from church to restaurants and we would pray for the meal and the servers stood off to the side and waited until we were finished.



While it's nice that the one server joined in, they really shouldn't be doing that. Of course the other ones that continue to serve around you are being disrespectful and not showing good customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment