Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can a wireless router be installed after a server in a network?

I am installing a small network in my home, (just for practice as this is what I am going to college for). I was wondering if it is possible to install a wireless router after the server in the network. I am using windows server 2003 and a linksys wireless router.Can a wireless router be installed after a server in a network?
I'm not sure if I understand this question properly, but a router has it's own mac address, meaning it has it's own IP as well. Any computers connected to the router will all have the same IP as the router when accessing material such as online games or webpages. The difference is each computer has a IP specified to the router which is unique per computer. However these IPs are just lan connections and will be displayed as 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.80 typically. The router obtains all information received and sent, it then determines which computer it should relay this information to; the same concept of a proxy. Now if you were to setup a server it's IP would have to be that of the routers, since your computers IP is just a local one. You would have to specify port fowarding so your router knows where to direct incoming connections to.



So while I have never done this myself, it seems like it would be possible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment